Bucks County Central Labor Council
The 2024 Bob Heenan Scholarship Essay Submission
Award : One (1) 1st Place Winner: $1,500.00
Three (3) 2nd Place Winners: $500.00
Criteria: Applicants must be a Bucks County resident and a graduating high school senior of the class of 2024 accepted into a full time accredited degree program or trade school. The applicant’s parent, legal guardian or grandparent must be a full dues paying member of an affiliate union of the Pennsylvania AFL-CIO.
Application: Perspective scholars should submit a properly formatted, 500 - 1000 word essay fully addressing one (and only one) of the writing prompts of their choice. Essays will be judged by a panel of BCCLC members based on overall quality of response.
All applications should include the following contact information:
- Name, address, email, phone number
- Name and address of the school you are currently attending
- Name of the accredited program or trade school to which you have been accepted
- Name, address, phone number and email of the union member in your family
- Local union and number of which they are a member
Writing Prompts: Select one of the following
- What do you think a union’s responsibilities are to its members?
- What does the phrase “Buy American” mean to you?
- How do unions fit in today’s modern economy?
- Labor unions are more popular today than they have been in decades, how do you explain this popularity?
Submission: Essay applications should be submitted via email no later than June 7th 2024 with the subject heading “2024 Bucks County Central Labor Council Scholarship Essay.” Submissions should have an attached document with the contact information, writing prompt and essay clearly labeled.
Applications should be submitted to: